Pages

3.24.2010

How to get rid of stinky smell in the house fast.

I got this advice from my friend Deborah and it works like charm. Sometimes I make dried fish for lunch or dinner which makes the whole house very stinky all day and even for the next couple of days...yea the smell is that strong. But I don't care because it's all worth it (just my opinion). I really love fried dried fish and it's what I eat when I'm trying to gain weight (because I'm always underweight). The problem is my husband. Sometimes he's very patient when I fry dried fish but there are times that it pisses him off.

So here's the solution that my friend gave me to not just get rid of the smell but replace it with a pleasant scent. Boil Downy or any fabric softener on the stove, then simmer immediately. The amount of fabric softener should just be enough to simmer for a few minutes or until the smell is almost gone. The smell of the simmering fabric softener diffuses throughout the room fast because of the steam. Of course be attentive to what you're doing and not leave your house while the fabric softener is still simmering. If a fabric softener is not available, use vinegar. I used it the first time and it worked too, the only difference is that vinegar doesn't smell heavenly like fabric softeners do.

And that's it! Just that easy and simple, and it works a lot better and faster than any of the air fresheners I've used.

Updates:
-If you're using vinegar, add cinnamon or nutmeg to it to lessen the strong smell.
-When cooking something stinky like sea foods, start simmering the fabric softener or vinegar as soon as you start cooking. It is also best to leave the windows open at least until the food is done.

1 comment:

tx sweetie said...

nice tip here. thanks for sharing. hope to see u around!