Pages

5.18.2010

Bye-bye Meat (again)

Any vegetarian in the house?

I tried this lifestyle a couple years ago and was surprised that I did it successfully...1 month? 1.5 months? 2 months? I don't exactly remember how long I had been eating meat-free. So why am I claiming to have succeeded at vegetarianism if I stopped? Well, in all honestly I did not miss meat, although in the first 2 weeks I did. I stopped because I was horrified looking at the mirror and seeing how skinny I had become. I wore size 00 jeans and XS shirts. I felt really light and looked starved. Well, I was starved! And it was all my fault. I dived in immediately to the decision of being a vegetarian without much preparation. I just woke up one day and decided to stop eating pork, chicken, beef, and even dairies. Weighing under 90 lbs. after several weeks, I was desperate to win my normal weight and healthy physique back that I had to quit vegetarianism. It was kinda sad for me because I felt like I failed and all my efforts went to nothing.

Two days ago while viewing some videos on Youtube, out of the blue, the thought of looking for PETA videos suddenly popped into my head. Really, that was very random. I don't even know why the letters P-E-T-A came to my mind. I hadn't been thinking of going vegetarian again or whatever. So I typed "PETA videos" and different heart-breaking and disturbing footages on animal cruelty displayed.

The video below was an enough wake-up call for me to go back to living meat-free. While watching it, it just broke my heart so much that I came to this realization: "How can someone enjoy something that another creature had to suffer for?" Without a second thought, I made the decision to stop eating meat again. The next day, I planned my meals for the rest of the week. For those who do not know, there are many types of vegetarian diet. I decided to start with being a Pescatarian. A pescatarian is a vegetarian who does not eat all types of meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Aside from pescatarian diet, I also consume dairy products. I don't want to rush again into being a vegan (a vegetarian who refuses to eat all types of meat as well as every food product that comes from animals), so I'll do this little by little, takin' short strides at a time.

Warning: The following video is heart-breaking. Watch if you want to know why YOU SHOULD NOT EAT MEAT.


We understand things differently. While your opinion may differ, mine is that animals are supposed to be our friends, not our food. They struggle to live just like we humans do. They breathe, they think, they cry, and they feel pain. So what gives you more right over the animals? If you're saying that they are here for us to eat, humans can survive without eating meat. Humans choose to eat meat to satisfy their tastebuds. You may say that you eat meat but you also love animals and are against animal abuse. My opinion is that, if you love animals, you won't support the idea of killing them for food.

"My body will not be a tomb for other creatures." ---Leonardo Da Vinci ( a vegetarian)

1 comment:

Levon said...

It is nice to know that you have decided to take things one step at a time and I have also felt the same realization as to why other animals should suffer just so we could eat “happily”. I’m sure you would feel proud when you get to read through this article that shows how two students were able to come up with ads that show that eating chicken or any other animal is not good at all. You can check it out here: http://blog.petaasiapacific.com/vegetarianism/advertising-students-show-chicken-eaters-the-truth.